Practice (violin) and all is coming


I have a new passion. Uh oh, you might say...as would most of my friends/family were they to hear me say that out loud. So many passions, so little time. Anyhow: it involves a musical instrument and my 6 year old daughter. Through a random series of events, we've ended up taking violin lessons together. I am completely enchanted by the sound. Even if right now, we are only hitting a few notes that sound enchanting, while the rest sound a bit like a sick cat. But as Pattabhi Jois said, Practice and all is coming. We'll get there.

I've had a crush on the violin for a long time - it just strikes me as gorgeously romantic. I guess I was fulfilling my fantasy by having 6 year old take lessons; she's been learning the basics for a little over a year. But the sad truth is, I'm not very musically inclined. I've mentioned my insecurity about my voice...and I let that spill over into believing that I couldn't play an instrument either. So I decided, screw that - it's not like I want to become some violin virtuoso. I just wanna play. I just want to enjoy it. I want to share it with my daughter. Those three things are enough to make me explode with musical joy, and who the hell cares what I sound like. (Although I do feel bad for our dogs - one simply runs away when the violins come out, the other just sits and looks at me as if to say, what is that and why are you hurting it??)

Once again, like what happened when I was first learning to horseback ride seriously, I am reminded of the practice that is yoga when I pick up my violin. The focus on the breath. Being in the present moment. Um, coordination of movement (6 year old has been helping me with my bow hold - she's been doing this a bit longer than I have). And best of all, the way everything else melts away for awhile while you make music. I shocked myself silly when I played "twinkle twinkle little star" for the first time, like that first time you do crow pose and come down surprised and smiling.

"Twinkle twinkle little star" has taken on new meaning. Music for the soul, indeed. I'm off to practice (violin followed by yoga)...coming up next: interviews are back! And I think you'll really enjoy this one.

Labels: ,