And today, another part of the transition...I took advantage of the slight lull in the winter weather to get in a last ride on my Dude Boy. Even if I wasn't going to London, my riding would trickle off as I usually dedicate my winter training and recreation time to both alpine and Nordic skiing...but the fact that I am going to be so far away from him is tugging at my heart strings a bit. So, today is an Ode to Dude, my sweet gentle giant.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for:
- carrying me on your back safely on some wild, crazy and beautiful trail rides - taking me places I may not have been able to go by myself
- your never-ending patience and gentle manners with my 5 year old daughter, who also loves you more than you can know and dreams about you at night
- showing me the meaning of the horse-human connection
- being my therapist, my childhood fantasy come true, and the equine love of my life
- and last but not least, the many lessons in how to live by these words: Yeehaw and Namaste.
Photos by Lauren Brown