Awakening to Blessings




#6 of 12 Days of New Year's Resolutions: Awaken to blessings in disguise. I'll admit to feeling a teensy bit harried recently, given recent Vap family events, including hosting the holidays at our house, post knee-surgery care and coordination of husband (he cannot drive), and - get this - my in-laws coming to help and my father-in-law falling and breaking HIS ankle. I kid you not. So, I've had my moments where, quite frankly, I've just wanted to scream. You know, just to release the tension. I'm fairly adaptable, and can make the most of every situation, but carving out that super important me-time has been tough. But as I awoke this morning to lovely fresh snow, sparkling in the bright sunshine, I felt joyful and appreciative of all the blessings in my life. And I took some time to reflect on the blessings in disguise that recent events have brought my way.

After shuttling Morgane to school and husband to his first physical therapy appointment, I returned home to race out back and meet my neighbor for a cross-country ski date. The last few winters, I just haven't been able to squeeze it in as much as I wanted to, given our focus on alpine. But now that my main downhill ski partner is out for the season, there's a gorgeous groomed trail right out back behind our house, plus I've got a neighbor who does this circuit several times a week - it seemed like someone was trying to tell me something. Plus said neighbor and I have been trying to get together for months now. As we skied this beautiful morning, I recognized this was part of my recent cloud's silver lining.

Yesterday, one person showed up for the weekly yoga class I teach at Be the Change. I don't know her very well, but when we realized no one else was coming, we started chatting like old friends who hadn't caught up in ages. We had so much to share, and it all came pouring out. Suddenly class time was over; I felt guilty for not taking charge and giving her some yoga, regardless of how much we were both enjoying the conversation. She hugged me and said it was exactly what it was supposed to be. I felt like I had just had a therapy session! A bit later I was at the store and spilled some soup. A woman saw me do it, and brought me a bunch of napkins. Simple kindness that practically brought me to tears.

Lastly, today I saw not only a bald eagle, but a herd of elk bedded down in the fresh snow a few miles from my house. Every time I see a bald eagle I feel it's a good omen; I'm going to extend that to the elk too. I found myself laughing out loud at their cuteness, their majesty, their apparent satisfaction at being snuggled up in the snow.

As one of my favorite retreat alumna always says...every day - glass is overflowing!

p.s. Athleta fans: the Steep Ravine pant is awesome for x-country skiing!

Labels: , , ,